Kirriemuir’s first golf match was played in June 1864 on The Hill.
20 years later in 1884 a golf club was formed and a 9-hole course was laid out on The Hill. The ladies formed a club in 1892 and they created their own short course in 1893.
As The Hill was also used for cricket, football and other outdoor pursuits alternative ground was found and in 1908 Sir Leonard Lyell of Kinnordy offered the Land known as Kate’s Wood – this is the existing site for Kirriemuir Golf Club.
The original 9 holes course was designed by Mr Fox, the golf professional from Carnoustie and the work was carried out under the supervision of the green keeper, Norman McKenzie. The course was officially opened on 24th April 1909 with Mrs Kinloch driving off the first ball.
In 1924 extra land was acquired, and from the plans of James Braid, the course was extended from 9 to 18 holes to largely create the course we continue to play today.